This recipe was introduced to me by a friend at a message board I frequent about money management. It is based on the principles taught by Dave Ramsey (who has changed our lives) and is called Living Like No One Else. I highly recommend it if you are struggling with your finances or would just like some budgeting and frugality tips, definitely check it out.
This lasagna has become a favorite in our house and is requested quite often. It’s meatless which is nice on the pocketbook too. I made mine a little different as I used cheddar cheese instead of the pepper jack, only a 1lb 10oz jar of spaghetti sauce, and left out the cilantro.
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 (15-0z) container ricotta cheese
- 1 (10-oz) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and well drained
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups (16 oz) shredded Monterey Jack cheese with peppers, divided
- 2 (16 oz) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (2 lb, 13-oz) jar pasta sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 9 dried precooked lasagna noodles (found where the dry pasta is)
- Garnish: chopped fresh cilantro
- Stir together first 5 ingredients and 1 cup Monterey Jack cheese; set aside
- Mash beans with a potato masher or fork in a large bowl; stir in pasta sauce and cumin. Spread one-third of bean mixture on bottom of a lightly greased 13×9 inch baking dish.
- Layer with 3 noodles, half of spinach mixture, and 1 cup of Monterey Jack cheese; repeat layers. Top with remaining 3 noodles and remaining bean mixture.
- Bake, covered, at 350 degrees for 1 hour.
- Uncover and top with remaining cheese and bake for another 5-10 minutes or until cheese melts. Garnish if desired.